A review will be launched as to why a healthy five-year-old boy died just hours after being discharged from hospital.
A review of the circumstances that led to the sudden death of a typically healthy five-year-old boy in Logan will be launched by the local health department after the hospital discharged him two hours him before his death.
Hiyaan Kapil waited four hours in the emergency room of Logan Hospital on Sunday night after experiencing stomach pains for several days.
His young family told 9 News he had been vomiting in hospital before being discharged at 10pm.
He was still in pain when the family returned home from the hospital and his parents were shocked when he collapsed just two hours later.
Hiyaan’s father rushed his son back to the hospital but he died soon after.
His loved ones are now scrambling for answers as to why the previously healthy young boy deteriorated so quickly and why he was discharged from hospital.
Metro South Health Acting CEO Noelle Cridland released a statement on Tuesday afternoon reporting that Hiyaan’s death will be the subject of a “thorough review”.
“We want to know what happened, that’s the only question,” family friend Rajbir Gill told 9 News.
“Our clinicians are dedicated to providing the best possible care to all our patients,” Ms Cridland said.
“Our hearts go out to the family of Hiyaan Kapil for their tragic loss and we extend our deepest sympathies to his parents, family and friends.”
Mr Gill said the family was not seeking compensation or looking to lay blame on hospital staff.
“We don’t want to blame, we don’t want to claim anything … we don’t need it because we can’t get him back”
“The only important thing we lost. He’s not with us.”
A report is being prepared for the Coroner by Queensland Police on the circumstances’ surrounding the five-year-old’s death and with the assistance of The Logan Hospital.
“He was very happy as a child,” Mr Gill said of the kindergarten student at Bethania Lutheran School in Logan.
“Very naughty, always happy.”
“I just got a call in the morning at 2am … ‘he’s not with us’.”
Neighbours have also spoken of their shock following the young boy’s sudden death.
“He was a great kid, he’ll be sadly missed,” one neighbour said.