Authorities are warning NSW residents to throw out spinach products bought from Costco after a number of cases of “possible food-related toxic reactions”.
NSW Health has warned that Riviera Farms-branded baby spinach should not be eaten, as the product is “not safe to consume”.
Affected products were sold through Costco with an expiry date of December 16, 2022.
“Initial investigations suggest the presence of an accidental contaminant in the food product,” NSW Health said.
“NSW Health is working with the NSW Food Authority, as well as other jurisdictions, to investigate the issue further.”
There have been nine people from four unrelated households across Sydney who have required medical treatment after developing poisoning having eating the product.
Anyone who is concerned about exposure to the spinach should call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
NSW Health urges anyone who experiences any unusual and severe symptoms to seek immediate medical attention by visiting their nearest emergency department.
Reported symptoms can be severe, including:
- Delirium or confusion
- Dilated pupils
- Rapid heartbeat
- Flushed face
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth and skin