As many as 100 residents of a Logan caravan park fear they will soon be joining the growing ranks of the homeless in Queensland, after receiving notice of plans to expand the M1.
The Galaxy Caravan Park, situated beside the M1 and directly opposite the Logan Hyperdome, would be resumed under a proposal to widen a 10-kilometre stretch of the Pacific Motorway from 6/8 lanes to 8/10 lanes.
A total of 565 properties have been identified as potentially impacted by the work.
The state government and Logan City Council own almost half of them.
The Stage 3 Pacific Motorway upgrade from Daisy Hill to the Logan Motorway would see the extension of the South East Busway and Veloway (dedicated cycle-way) and the construction of three new bus stations and two more Park ‘n’ Rides.
There would also be major upgrades to entry and exit ramps along the corridor.
A Transport and Main Roads document emailed to residents states the upgrade project “aims to improve capacity, safety and reliability on the motorway” and provide “improved access to public and active transport”.
‘We’ve finally found a place that’s safe’
Sharron Parker, who has lived in the caravan park for 15 years, said she had not stopped crying since hearing of the proposal.
“That’s my home and I love it here,” Ms Parker said through tears.
“We’re just like one big family here.”
The 69-year-old cancer survivor lives in the mobile home her son owns.
It is well maintained, with a neatly curated garden.
Like the homes of many of her neighbours, it will not be able to be towed to a new location.
“What’s going to happen, where are we going to go?” she said.
Margaret Hickson, 68, recently bought a permanent onsite cabin after moving from New South Wales to live with her brother.
“The rental market is non-existent. For pensioners, we just can’t afford that much money,” she said.
Other residents, some of whom care for partners with dementia, have lived in the park for 30 years.
Shae Hilton needs to find another caravan park where she can move with her partner and young son.
“We’ve finally found a place that’s safe and comfortable and it’s now being taken away from us,” said Ms Hilton.
“The closest place around here is Carbrook or even a truck stop,” she said.
Transport and Main Roads (TMR) officials are planning to meet with caravan park residents next Tuesday.
A TMR spokesperson said the department had been “progressively consulting” with property owners “since 2007” and where land is required, property owners “are compensated fairly on an independent evaluation”.
Feedback on the project opened on Monday and will close at midnight on Sunday November 27.
A time frame for potential land acquisitions will be outlined in mid-2023.
Leave a Reply